I am an adjunct whore.

From semester-to-semester, I do tricks, my adjunct legs spread wide, willing to settle for a pittance for my services.

I am cheap. I am expendable. I am powerless.

Should I make waves, I will be dismissed, for the next adjunct whore is standing in line, waiting for my crumbs. I will do whatever academic tricks my administration wants me to do, no matter how repugnant.

I am also a forever-adjunct. My university/college/tech school has decided, “Why buy the full package when classes can be serviced for practically nothing?”

I do not expect sympathy—I have made my own academic bed, my adjunct whoredom sealed. You see, I actually believed my chair when years ago he/she “hinted” that I would likely be promoted to a real job. Good intentions, change of administration, a too-familiar story.

Remember this, adjunct whores:

You are in this alone.

Your full-time colleagues and fellow adjunct whores, who are too busy sucking up, will not help you. We are all too busy looking after Number One.

Love academe, but trust no one, especially administrators.

Until I retire, I shall remain an adjunct whore.


* * *
Calling All Adjunct Whores: Your Horror Story

Details here

* * *

Calling All Adjunct Whores: Your "Fuzzy" and "Warm" Story

Details here

* * *

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Interesting "Fuzzy" and "Warm" Adjunct Whore Stories: Post Here!

* * *

Have any interesting "fuzzy" and "warm" Adjunct Whore stories?

If so, post them here in the comment section.

Or email here

Adjunct Whore reserves the right to move a comment to an actual post and add commentary to it.

If your emailed story is selected, it will appear on this blog as a post, and, if you wish, you and your school will remain anonymous. In that case, before submitting, please make sure that identifying details have been removed, even if you must "fudge" a little.

By posting here or submitting your fuzziness and warmth via email, you grant Adjunct Whore the right to post your work in perpetuity, along with Adjunct Whore's commentary.

Adjunct Whore does not answer her email.

Any questions will be answered via this blog.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

*
Comments are moderated, so please do not post twice.

Spammers, scammers, and garden variety nutjobs are not wanted, so if you fall in this category, do not bother posting.

By commenting here, you grant Adjunct Whore the right to post your work in perpetuity, along with Adjunct Whore's commentary.

This is not a democracy. I am a tinpot dictator of my small kingdom.
*